Sunday, November 23, 2008

Just because I accept something doesn't mean I have to like it.

The "Albright-Knox deaccessioning" pretty much became buzz word during my sophomore year of college. I was actually taking a Renaissance art history course at the time, so the first I heard about it was in class. My professor, an avid Renaissance historian, was, of course, livid. We had just taken a field trip to the Art Gallery the week before to see some of their antique and Renaissance collection, and my professor had actually commented how strange it was that all the pieces were packed up, or recently cleaned. Anyway, it was that weekend that the Albright announced its plan to deaccession about 200 works of art from its permanent collection. People came out of the woodwork from all sides, both supporting and condemning the gallery's decision to sell off some of its permanent collection to purchase more modern and contemporary works of art, and to thus further the AKAG's "Statement of Purpose."

Now, I've worked with that livid professor, several other art historians at Canisius, as well as some staff over at the Albright itself. I've heard at least 15 different reasons for both keeping the works and for selling them. I've seen friends fight over the issue, and some professional relationships broken, and I've seen grown adults fight like children because of this issue. In the end, I don't think contesters had much of a chance to really stop the sale, and even though some may critique ArtVoice for "stirring the pot," the publication really introduced the sale to the population that doesn't read the BuffaloNews regularly. People got excited about art, which shows that people care. Buffalonian's are rabid (in a good way) about saving their city's history and legacy. And in the end, even though many people did disagree, the sale went through, and I don't think the AKAG lost a huge number of visitors or members because of it.

As for me, I love Renaissance art. And while I can appreciate Modern and Contemporary art, I dislike a lot more of it than I like. And that is my personal opinion. I understand the AKAG's decision to advance their already highly respected modern art collection, and I know for a fact that none (okay, well maybe one or two) of the people who work at the AKAG had any mobster intentions, or anything but the museum's future in mind. So, two years later, I'm glad the controversy happened, because it woke people up, and even if they might not be the most respected voices, I believe all Buffalonians had the right to have their say. Personally, I still wish I could see the Artemis, the Credi painting, and the della Robia ceramic. I'm disappointed, sure, but I don't blame the AKAG for their decision, nor do I visit the gallery less because of it. Am I moving to a city with a larger collection of Renaissance art in the future? Probably, and that's sad because I like Buffalo, but I feel like my interests can't be found within two hours of the city. Still, keeping those antiquities and other "masterworks" in storage weren't doing them any favors either...

No comments: