Sunday, November 16, 2008

Katherine Sehr at the Nina Freudenheim Gallery

I really had no idea what to expect when I left for the Nina Freudenheim Gallery on Friday. All I really knew about it was that it was yet another off-the-beaten track gallery that I had lived within five minutes of for four years, and had still never heard of. I was completely unaware that the Hotel Lenox on North Street even housed a contemporary gallery. Adding to this aura of mystery, there is very little information on the gallery's website. It is only text, no pictures, and the only real information available is the name of the current show and the gallery's hours.

I was pleasantly surprised when we walked into the space. The entire gallery is set in an apartment that has been cleared out. The space itself was beautiful - dark hardwood floors and accents, with white walls and a view overlooking Mayfair Lane. It was cozy and warm, and after walking into it, the gallery didn't seem out of place in the Lenox. As for Katherine Sehr's work, I enjoyed it very much. Sehr takes colored gel pens (like the ones that were so "in" 10 years ago, when many current college students were in middle school) and "doodles" across large (or small) canvases. I say "doodles" in quotations because her designs are intricately planned out. The works that use more than one color are particularly amazing, because Sehr has worked the doodles so that they mingle and create an almost-design, especially when viewed from further away.

There is almost no information about Sehr available online, which surprised me. If we hadn't run into one of the women who worked in the gallery, I really would have been clueless about the artist herself. As it was, she told us that Sehr likes to incorporate other artists' styles that have influenced her over the years. I recall one of the works being dedicated to Cezanne, while I thought another one looked a little like a Rothko. Overall, I really enjoyed the art as much as I enjoyed the art space.

No comments: